Dr. med. Michael Wernz is an FMH-certified neurologist and experienced clinical specialist in stroke care and vascular diseases. He has been an instructor in the area of neurological ultrasound diagnostics since 1998.
Dr. med. Michael Wernz studied medicine in Padua, Freiburg im Breisgau and Rome. He completed his neurologist training at University Medical Center Freiburg. After completing his specialist training, he spent several years as Director of the Stroke Unit and Ultrasound Lab at the Neurology and Neurophysiology Clinic in Ravensburg. Dr. Wernz is a recognized specialist in neurovascular ultrasound diagnostics and electrophysiology diagnostics (EEG, EMG, ENG). He has also been an instructor for the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Ultraschall in der Medizin (DEGUM) since 1993. He is also certified in the use of botulinum toxin for treating neurological diseases.
In addition to his comprehensive training in clinical research, Dr. Wernz has overseen several major European studies (ECST, Höchst, ECASS and ACST study) and is a member of several professional neurology associations.
- 2017 – present
- Practitioner, NeuroCentre Aarau
- 2016 – present
- Practitioner, NeuroCentre Bellevue
- 1999 – 2016
- Senior physician Neurology and Neurophysiology Clinic Ravensburg, Director of Ultrasound Lab and Stroke Unit
- 1998 – present
- DEGUM level II instructor for ultrasound diagnostics
- Assistant physician, Department of Psychiatry, University of Freiburg im Breisgau; advising for a study on Nemexin for borderline and pain research
- 1995 – 1997
- Outpatient and consulting services, as well as neurological consulting for surgery, University Hospital Freiburg im Breisgau
- 1994 – 1995
- Assistant physician for evaluation of evoked potentials, electrophysiology (EMG, EP and EEG), University Medical Center Freiburg
- 1991 – 1997
- Assistant physician, specialist training in neurology, University Medical Center Freiburg
Education and degrees
- Certification in administering botulinum toxin
- Neurology specialist
- Dissertation in Department of Neurology, University of Freiburg im Breisgau, Prof. Dr. med. Gerhard-Michael von Reutern
- 1984 – 1991
- Studies in human medicine, University of Padua, University of Freiburg in Breisgau and the University of La Sapienzia, Rome
- 1982 – 1984
- Studies in philosophy, history, physics, University of Freiburg im Breisgau
- 1982 – 1984
- Paramedic training
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Neurologie (DGN)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Klinische Neurophysiologie und funktionelle Bildgebung (DGKN)
- Deutschen Gesellschaft für Ultraschall in der Medizin (DEGUM)
- Arbeitskreis Botulinumtoxin e. V. (work group) of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Neurologie
Publications and lectures
Dr. med. Michael Wernz is an instructor and regular speaker for the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Ultraschall in der Medizin (DEGUM).
He has contributed to several European studies, including: European Carotid Surgery Trial (ECST), European Cooperative Acute Stroke Study (ECASS), Asymptomatic Carotid Surgery Trial (ACST), Borderline Nemexin Study.